An absolutely mahoosive thank you to everyone who has been with me since the start or found this blog a while ago or have just discovered it. Your comments and likes have spurred me on to keep blogging and have been the highlight of my day when I’ve been having a bad one. Your support and enthusiasm has made me feel like I’m actually good at something when Dyspraxia has made me feel otherwise. You have made me laugh (with you, not at you), you’ve been as excited about geeky things, urban things and cruelty free things as I have and really made me think about life with your observations and advice. You are all awesome!
It is so strange to think that three years I finally took peoples advice and started a little unassuming blog. A blog which turned into something that a lot of lovely strangers actually started to follow and commented on and then some of my fave brands which I’ve used for years started to gift me their products to review and invites started arriving for blogger events, meals and cocktails!
The most surprising thing however, is that I’ve actually kept this up for three years and yes, people leave but new people follow every week. When ever I’ve felt bored because of illness or Winter weather or I’ve felt lonely, this has been a little sanctuary that I can visit, with a cuppa and snuggly wrap around cardigan, which always makes me smile.
To anyone who’s followed this blog for a long time, I appreciate you putting up with the early days of back-to-front structured sentences (thats how my thoughts sound in my head) and under or over exposed photo’s. I never realised that as a blogger I would become a copy writer, an editor, a photographer of all sorts of subjects, a photographic editor, a creator of layouts and an organised (gasp!) person capable of meeting deadlines, tagging and scheduling blog posts and the owner of several busy and successful social media accounts. Phew!
To anyone reading this who isn’t a blogger, why ever not? Give it a go, what have you got to loose? Even if you only get a small amount of followers, you will still have a creative journal of your life and maybe learn some new skills along the way.
Now give me some cake!
Genuine thanks from the bottom of my heart
- If you are reviewing an eatery do arrange a specific time for your arrival with management. Upon arrival introduce yourself and hand over your business card (if you have one), then mention you are there to review. Much simpler than cringingly explaining you’ve actually been reviewing the place when accidentally confronted with a bill! If it’s your dinner party make it clear to guests when (you hope) food will be served.
- Think about the layout when taking photographs of your food. What is surrounding the dish? Would adding or taking away something improve it?
- Take a close up shot if the table is very crowded with things or people you don’t want in your shot. It will make the dish look more dynamic anyway.
- Take some shots to capture the ambience of the location you are eating in.
- Think about the lighting. Adjust the white balance on your camera or move lighting or your plate so that the colour of the food looks as natural as possible, with no harsh shadows.
- Include yourself in some of the shots enjoying your food!
- Get so drunk you forget to take photographs after your first course.
- Faff about with your food too much. You can easily end up making a dish look worse with a small slip of the hand. If it still looks awful it’s up to you wether you include it in your post after all!
- Get lost in the art of photography for so long that your food gets cold and your friends get pissed off.
- Forget to make a quick note of small things that make a big difference such as special ingredients, the way things have been cooked, whether the dish worked well together as a whole, what it was served in, service in general etc.
- Loose your cool. Even if you are conveying your annoyance to your guests/the weight staff or your food hasn’t turned out as planned. Be assertive but always polite.
- Become so focussed with the whole food blogging thing that you forget to enjoy yourself!
I decided to treat the bloke to a meal where he could order anything on the menu because it’s all veggie. Lotus Vegetarian Restaurant is a family run restaurant which offers traditional Chinese food and mock meats such as beef, prawn and chicken dishes. They also offer the largest amount of vegan dishes I’ve ever seen on a menu and have a hygiene rating of four out of five.
This isn’t a place that opens late night to cater for people after the pubs shut (although it is right near to The Red Lion), it closes at 10.30 and 11.00 on Friday and Saturday. The restaurant is brightly lit and their is no alcohol on the menu , although you are welcome to bring your own within reason.
I saw this tag over on Super Space Chick a blog I’ve only recently just discovered. She asked everyone to just join in if they wanted and seeing as I ❤ Instagram it’s only right.
What’s your Instagram handle?
How many people do you follow?
How many followers do you have?
What are your favourite hashtags?
#OOTD #altgirl #QuirkyCute #glutenfree #veggie #streetart #manchester #tattoos
What are your favourite genres of pictures?
As you can probably tell from some of my fave #’s I like things that are boldly visual. After all, IG is all about that! Although I have noticed more simple recipes popping up on there, which is handy.
How often do you post?
Only when I have something quirky, cute, cool or tasty to share, pretty much. I’m not one for endless boring selfies. how narcissistic would that be?!
What’s your favourite filter?
I find that a lot of pictures look incredibly hazy and undefined (I’m using an iPod4) but if I use XPro II it darkens and sharpens them. If something is too dark to start with Lo fi helps. Rise is always a flattering filter for selfies so that has to be my favourite.
iPhone only? Purist or rebel?
I only have an iPod 4 and the camera is pretty appalling. I cheat sometimes and upload pics I’ve taken of events or the countryside with my Lumix. It’s got a Leica lens! I select a part of the picture so it’s still IG shaped and maybe add filters. I shouldn’t be telling you this, ha!
Three favourite IG accounts currently?
@mrmojorisin_ is a fellow Manc and takes fantastic shots with his iPhone.
@pixee_pea She’s into her vegan cruelty free beauty, which could a boring album but her product shots are creative and she mixes in lovely lifestyle photo’s as well.
@Pistoja This dude posts the best street art from where he lives and everywhere he visits. It’s not just the massive murals either, it’s the smaller stuff as well.
Now I’ve discovered the @superspacechick album that’s one of my faves as well. It’s so bright and fun and cute but also interesting!
What are your Instagram handles?
Hope to see you all on my Instagram feed soon!