It’s so easy to automatically go to your old faithful items that you feel safe with or to keep on buying more of the same type of thing. By doing this, you are hiding the potential of the clothes you already have and possibly your own potential as well!
- Put all of the clothes which you always wear out of site, this includes most often worn accessories.
- Get out all of the items of clothing, accessories and shoes which are left and put them around your bed.
- Try on all of these items.
- For any items which don’t fit properly or have seen better days is there a way you can get them altered or fixed cheaply and quickly?
- Have you kept these items for VERY nostalgic reasons and feel you could never part with them?
- If the answer is ‘No’ to the above two questions they should go to charity or a friend or be throw away depending on quality. Label the charity/friend bag so you don’t get it mixed up – trust me.
- Are there any clothes that are ‘alright’ but you never wear? Maybe they should work in theory but you don’t really like them, or your personal style has completely moved on? Put them aside for now.
- Are there any statement items that you love but are very difficult to style? Try mixing these items with your everyday go-to items you put aside at the start or any other items left. Deal with one statement item at a time and build the outfit around that. Wether accessorising will help or hinder is at this point is up to you.
- If there is any item still not working but you still love it, is there another item you can buy which will make it work? Such as boots (too cover cankles) or a little cardigan/shrug (too cover batwings) or a plain coloured vest/tee you could wear underneath (to cover up a bigger bra) or just a different style of underwear?
- Will it go with any of the ‘alright’ clothes? If you are still drawing a blank then the lovely but unrealistic statement items and the ‘alright’ clothes should join the charity/friend bags so one else can enjoy them.
- Now look at all of the clothes you have left. Try to shake off the usual rules you apply and look at each item as if it’s the first time you are seeing it. This is a god time to enlist the help of a family memeber or friend who’s style you like but is different to yours. Who knows, they might come up with an outfit you never would have thought which actually really suits you!
- When you create realistic outfits that you will actually WANT to wear, take photo’s of them so you can remember your new discovery, even when you are tired or in a hurry.
Remember your clothes are there to fit in with you, not the other way around.
Enjoy your new outfits!
❤ Chrissie ❤
Here are all of my style related posts from 2019. I hope they serve as inspiration if you are a little stuck for ideas or where to buy something.
80’s Alternative Urban Hoops – Claire’s; jumper EMP; Skirt EMP; Boots – Clark’s
Chillin Love Your Bones Tee – EMP.co.uk; Bootcut jeans – charity shop (originally Topshop); Dusky pink trainers (not shown) Nike custom Air Force 1’s
Pirate Wench Earrings – EMP; Blouse – Hell Bunny; Skirt – EMP; Leggings – Matalan; Boots – Ebay
Modern Vintage Blouse – Hell Bunny; Shrug – Joe Browns; Skirt – EMP; Boots – Joe BrownsSwing vests can create a more flattering shape than tucking in your tops, if you have narrow hips and/or a podge.
Urban Casual Vest – Boohoo; Utility pants – ASOS; Trainers – Zara
Tee Bloody Nora Pam
Autumn Smart Casual Shawl – Matalan; Leggings – Matalan; Boots – Lands End
Winter Smart Casual Jumper – Matalan; Jeans – ASOS; Over knee ridding boots (not shown) Shuh.
Alternative-Casual Tee – The Mountain; Arm warmers (worn under stripy top) – Forage; Boot cut jeans – Charity shop (previously Topshop); Chunky PVC ankle boots (not shown) Shuh
Pins Old English Company; Jenni Fairy W on Etsy; Punky Pins
Penguin Pin Kate Elford on Etsy
Christmas Tree Earrings Marks and Spencer
Tote Bag Tikea on Amazon
I know it takes some people a lot of confidence to really go-all-out for Hallowe’en but that doesn’t mean you can’t Vamp It Up a bit. Sorry, I couldn’t help it!
Deaths Head Moth Pin (print also available in dresses and tops) – Em and Sprout
Jezebel Tote Bag – Vivienne Of Holloway
Zombie Girl Pin – Worn To Death Apparel
Cobweb Tassel Earrings – Boohoo
Chrissie V- -V
These are from my fave high street shops Peacocks, budget friendly but always modern and stylish.
The earrings. I’ve added a bit of everyday sparkle to dull weather days by using the hoops in my lobes and the studs going up the sides. How cute are those little bows.
The bandeau top/bra. I’ll be wearing this as a cute modesty panel with low cut dresses or sheer tops when the evenings get milder.
The brush. The plastic paddle type are the only brushes that tame my hair and make it shine. Important as I can’t keep washing it and letting it air dry into its natural waves in the winter. My bloke saw this flat side up (looking just like a paddle) and thought Agent Provocateur or Anne Summers must have a unicorn theme running!
The shawl. I’ve wanted a warm black shawl forever and was so pleased to find this in the sale at Matalan. This is encompassing and dramatically swishy enough, as shawl go.
Clint Eastwood, the goth years.
It’s so soft and I love the length. An excuse to wear a comfort blanket that also covers your rude bits when wearing leggings.
The longline cardigan. This one from Evans actually buttons up – no ‘waterfall’ nonsense here. They start at size 14 and as I’m a 12 and wanted anough room to wear this as a cardigan -dress (I’ve started a thing) and found this to be just right. I love the neckline and the overall length, so I can wear a pretty vest underneath, tights and heeled boots if I want to dress it up. Look at that snuggly sleeve length! Oh, and it also has pockets that your phone won’t fall out of.
The boots from Lands End for Debenhams. My old brown Ugg type boots have sagged and make me look like Shazza the basic-bitch hobbit. So I replaced them with these pale grey, structured ones with sleek black soles. They keep feet warm with a short-pile fluffy lining throughout but let ankles and calves get some air with a fabric outer.
Which of my Winter – Spring basics do you like?
When Gemstone Silver Jewelry asked me if I wanted to feature their rings I knew I wanted to choose two with Moonstones. I love the way Moonstones play with the light and appear solid, yet translucent at the same time; this is known as adularescence. Both tbands and mounts are 9.25 stamped, nickle-free silver.
Here they are in direct sunshine.
Here they are in defused natural light, where you can see the depth of the stones.
Moonstone Ring – Nobble Passion is so pretty with it’s pear shaped stone and dainty band.
Moonstone Ring – Shimmering Yonder is a beautiful globe shape which bounces the light back in obvious blue and purple colours. It simultaneously looks magical and contemporary.
Considering these rings came all of the way from Nevada, I was surprised at how quickly they arrived. The sizing is spot-on and both rings are reassuringly weighty, without feeling clumsy or distracting – well apart from the wonderful stones which I find myself gazing into frequently!
For 15% off your purchase, enter 15FORU at the checkout.
I love Autumn and alternative pop-culture so I’ve naturally acquired a lot of pins which are perfect for October and Halloween.
Pumpkin and Coffee First – Old English Company, We Are The Weirdos Mister – Punky Pins, Moon and Stars – Primark mixed bag, She’s Mad But She’s Magic- can’t find anywhere, Ghost Cat and Sweater – Little Lefty Lou.
Do you have a favourite designer or place where you get pins?
Pastel Goth (created at christmas)
Pretty Whimsical Homeware
Some of the rest where I can’t find the whole image on my blog sadly.
Earrings – Moon Magic
Sunglasses – Jaeger
Hair clips – charity shop (similar here and here)
Vest – H&M
Bag – Peacocks
Bag charm – Silk Avenue
Trousers – New Look (similar here and here)
Trainers – Nike AF1’s custom
❤ Chrissie ❤
I feel like this is my girl version of Johnny Cash’s style. A bit of an alternative style for Spring, I guess.
Earrings – Next (this season here and here)
Sunglasses – Jaeger
Shirt – Peacocks
Bag – New Look (this season here)
Thumb ring – EMP
Jeans – MOTO ‘Sydney’ Topshop
Shoes – Office (this season here)
Earrings – Forage
Coat – Peacocks (sale item, similar here)
Mens Tee (cut into vest) – Design By Humans
Trousers – New Look (old, similar here)
Trainers – Zara
❤ Chrissie ❤